A blog dedicated to my opinion on books

Friday, January 31, 2014

My Favorite Adaptations

This week’s post is going to be a bit different in that it’s not going to be a review. Mostly because it’s happened: I am still working on books to review. While I have read plenty of books in the past, I feel most are too far in the past for me to properly review. For example, the Darcy trilogy was a bit hazy to me and I realized how difficult it was to review that. So I’m going to try to build up a list to review. In the meantime, I’m going to try to put up some non-review posts to fill the void.

I’m going to start with adaptations. Why? Because of the release of the trailer for the “Outlander” miniseries. You can view it here.


I must admit, I am excited to see how this turns out. I did like Outlander, though I had some issues with it. So I want to see what was kept, what was cut and if anything was changed. And I think everyone is the same when they find out a book they like is being turned into a movie. Or a book they may not have liked or wanted to read but are still curious to see how it will be turned into a film (cough50ShadesofGreycough).

What are my favorite adaptations? I’m glad you asked!

(Play along)

I enjoyed most of the Harry Potter adaptations. Of course, Chris Columbus kept the first two movies faithful to their respective books. After him, I found the sixth movie to be the most faithful. While they may not have been faithful, though, the other movies never lost sight of the spirit of their source materials. I have questioned some of their decisions though, like the fact they never mentioned who the Marauders were or changing Snape’s Worst Memory in the movie. But small quibbles from some changes people have seen in adaptations.

As you know, I am an Austenite. I especially love Pride and Prejudice. So what’s my favorite adaptation? The Lizzie Bennet Diaries! If you didn’t watch it, I suggest you do. It’s a modern-day Pride and Prejudice told through vlogs. (You can watch it here). Of course, some things had to change. But I think they handled them well. Like only focusing on Jane, Elizabeth and Lydia as the Bennett sisters. (Their versions of Mary and Kitty are good as well). I was addicted to this series last year and watched all videos associated with it eagerly. And now I’m doing the same with “Emma Approved,” the same production team’s take on Austen’s “Emma.” (Which can be found here).

My favorite adaptation of Phantom of the Opera has to be the musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber, though I have my issues with the movie version. But the stage version is lavish and gorgeous. While it diverts from the source material in some ways, it still is a good portrayal. And the music is amazing. I think “All I Ask of You” is one of the greatest Broadway duets of all time. (You can watch Hadley Fraser and Sierra Boggess sing it here).

Let’s see. I’ve covered a movie adaptation, an internet adaptation and a musical adaptation. I guess that just leaves a TV adaptation. Hmm…I guess I would have to lean toward the Babysitter’s Club. Yes, it’s an old one. But a good one, in my opinion. I believe it was made in Canada and then aired in the States on Disney Channel. When I read the books, I could see them as these episodes.

So there they are. My favorite adaptations.

Moonlight Musing

What is your favorite adaptation?

No comments:

Post a Comment