A blog dedicated to my opinion on books

Friday, May 1, 2020

“Bad Girls Throughout History: 100 Remarkable Women Who Changed the World” by Ann Shen

Title: Bad Girls Throughout History: 100 Remarkable Women Who Changed the World
Author: Ann Shen
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Year: 2016
Genre(s): nonfiction, history, contemporary
Part of a Series: No
Rating:
 



Why I read it: Because I saw it in the gift shop at the Museum of American History and was intrigued.

Summary:  Ann Shen gives short blurbs about the lives and accomplishments of 100 “bad girls” who changed their worlds in multiple realms – politics, entertainment, science, faith, literature, technology, fashion, arts, etc.
Review: This won’t be a long one. I am glad I picked this up and I hope to find a place to display this so people can see it as well. And I want it to be a place where they can easily pick it up and flip through it to see who these so-called “bad” girls were (or are).

So how were these women “bad”? Well, they didn’t accept the status quo and often did things society did not consider ladylike. They were educated or led armies or took over countries or started their own businesses. They took chances and went after their dreams, no matter what anyone – including the rules – said.

Shen does try to highlight women from around the world to represent a variety of cultures but I must admit that it does seem to be more Euro-centric than it could’ve been. I’m sure there are amazing women in other cultures that I would love to see highlighted and learn more about. Maybe she can write another book “More Bad Girls Throughout History”?

The illustrations Shen included with each entry were absolutely gorgeous. I would love to buy a few to just hang around my room. So that’s another reason to buy this book.

Bottom line: A great book to have if you’re interested in strong and interesting women.
Sex: Mentions

Moonlight Musing

Who is your favorite woman in history?

No comments:

Post a Comment