A blog dedicated to my opinion on books

Friday, June 2, 2023

“Sisters of the Resistance” by Christine Wells

Title: Sisters of the Resistance
Author: Christine Wells
Publisher:  William Morris/HarperCollins
Year: 2021
Genre(s):  historical fiction, romance
Part of a Series: No

Rating: 

Why I read it: Once Upon a Book Club selection

Summary: Yvette returns to Paris a few years after the end of World War II and is recruited to be a mannequin for Christian Dior’s new fashion house. But this is not her first time working with the legendary designer – or his sister, Catherine. Yvette and her sister Gabrielle must finally come to terms with what they sacrificed and the risks they took in the final days of the Nazi occupation of Paris while working as part of Catherine Dior’s network of spies. Will they finally be able to move on and find happiness in their lives at last?


Review: This book may have supplanted The Space Between as my favorite book of 2023. Of course, it already had an edge as a historical fiction novel but it certainly lived up to my hopes for it! I only have one quibble – I think I would’ve liked to see more of Yvette being a mannequin for Christian Dior, if just to imagine those beautiful gowns.

But moving on.

Both Yvette and Gabby were interesting heroines and the story ping-ponged between them expertly. I never felt like Yvette’s story interrupted Gabby’s or vice versa. Instead, both were used to build the entire narrative and form a great story.

I would’ve liked more of Catherine Dior. She appears to be a central figure yet is gone for most of the book. But when she was around, she was a very intriguing character who seemed to care for Yvette and Gabby very much. The same for her brother, Christian. I would’ve loved to see more of him as well. But what we got was still good so I’m not listing it as a quibble really – just a preference.

I did also enjoy the romance featured in the book, though I think I was more partial to Gabby’s then Yvette’s. Her romance with Jack was sweet yet had some angst that was intriguing to read, hoping that it would turn out okay for them. Yvette’s romance with Vidar had more twists and turns than he had names. While it was a thrilling romance, I’m not sure if their ending was a good one or not for them.

Wells has an engaging style and built an intriguing story along with some good romances. She created characters who felt real and who came to life on the page. I look forward to seeing what other works she creates in the future.

Bottom line: A great historical read highlighting the risks and sacrifices taken during World War II

Sex: Some mentions, nothing graphic

Moonlight Musing

Do you think you would make a good spy?

No comments:

Post a Comment