A blog dedicated to my opinion on books

Friday, September 1, 2023

Merry Old England

 As I mentioned in my last post, I was on vacation and part of it was spent in London. I was also on vacation last week or else this would’ve been posted sooner. Still, I would like to highlight some books I’ve read and reviewed that are set in England.

(I probably should’ve done this as the post when I was in England and saved the summer books for this post but oh, well).

After going through the books I’ve reviewed, I realized I’ve read a lot set in England. And I already excluded Jane Austen. So I’m going to narrow it down to my top 5 books set in England.

Wish me luck! 

The Last Letter from Juliet by Melanie Hudson: When Katherine answers her uncle’s call for help settling a dispute in his small English town, she discovers the unpublished memoirs of a truly amazing woman and her acts of courage during World War II. Juliet’s life inspires Katherine to start living hers again as well.

The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner: Caroline goes on her anniversary trip to London alone after learning of her husband’s infidelity. She re-evaluates her life as she rekindles her love for history. She starts to track down a mysterious apothecary named Nella as readers follow Nella on her most dangerous mission yet with a young servant girl named Eliza as her companion.

The Glass Ocean by Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willig, and Karen White: Sarah Blake travels to England to uncover a secret her grandfather took to the grave when the Lusitania sank. She works with John Langford, whose own grandfather was on the ship as well. As they try to uncover the truth, the story involves a love triangle onboard the ship that could change history forever.

Lost Amongst the Living by Simone St. James: Jo travels with her late husband’s aunt to the family house in Sussex, England. Everything about the house feels off to her as legends of a ghost haunting the family swirl around her. As she learns more about her husband, she worries that she might be in more danger than she realized.

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley: A good one for fans of Outlander. Following the death of her sister, Eva returns to a house in Cornwall where they spent time as children. She then travels back to the 18th century before returning to her present time. Eva jumps between the two period and as she develops a relationship with one Daniel Butler, she wonders if her future is in the past.

There we go! I hope you check out these books if you haven’t already done so.

What about you? Do you have a favorite book set in England? Let me know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment