A blog dedicated to my opinion on books

Friday, February 11, 2022

“Meet Me in Paradise” by Libby Hubscher

Title: Meet Me In Paradise

Author: Libby Hubscher
Publisher: Berkley
Year: 2021
Genre(s): contemporary fiction, romance
Part of a Series: No.
Rating:
 

Why I read it: Once Upon a Book Club selection

Summary: Marin Cole is not adventurous. But when her sister Sadie convinces her to go on a her first vacation in years, Marin first gets a disaster. She is ultimately rescued by Lucas Tsai, the charming owner of a resort on the tropical island of Saba. Thanks to Lucas, Marin finally starts to open herself up to new things and adventure but when she learns her sister’s real plan, everything changes and Marin finds herself having to confront an uncertain future.


Review: I started to read this book expecting an easy, fun summer read but it was certainly a lot heavier than I expected. I gave this book four moons because ultimately I enjoyed it but I had some mixed feelings about it until the very end.

For the longest time, I did not like Sadie. While she somewhat redeemed herself in the end, I thought she was ultimately selfish. She did what she thought was best for her sister rather than talk with her and forcing her to do certain things. While ultimately her goal was a good one and understandable, they do say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Given what happens to Sadie during the book, as an older sister myself I would’ve wanted to spend that time with her and not been forced on some silly quest.

But when I ignored all of that, I did enjoy Marin going on a tropical adventure and awakening something deep inside her she didn’t know was there. I rooted for her to enjoy herself and find a love of traveling.

I loved the dynamic between Marin and Lucas. Hubscher built their relationship well and readers can see how they both benefit from knowing each other. I really enjoyed their romance and thought it was very well done, drawing me in just as much as Marin’s adventures in paradise. Each encounter built on the next and got better and better. It felt like a natural progression and not a rush.

My only quibble was that Lucas may have been a little too perfect but sometimes, that’s all you want from your leading men in these romances.

Hubscher does a wonderful job of creating the feel of a tropical paradise. While reading, I felt transported to this little island got to enjoy the beauty of it along with Marin. The setting became its own character and I appreciated that.

Bottom line: A good read that gives both tropical fun and heartbreaking feels.

Sex: Some but nothing too graphic.

Moonlight Musing

What’s something you’ve always wanted to do but never have had the courage to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment