A blog dedicated to my opinion on books

Friday, February 10, 2017

"Lost Amongst the Living" by Simone St. James

Title:  Lost Amongst the Living
Author: Simone St. James
Publisher: NAL
Year: 2016
Genre(s):  fiction, historical fiction, historical romance, romance

Part of a Series: No
Rating: 




Why I read it: It was my first book with Once Upon a Book Club

Summary: After losing her husband in the First World War, Jo Manders becomes a traveling companion to his aunt. She travels around Europe as the woman buy art to sell back home in England. When they return to the family home, Jo learns about the death of her husband Alex’s young cousin. Jo believes she’s being haunted by the girl’s ghost and is determined to solve her murder—just as someone returns home.

Review: I could not ask for a better book to start my Once Upon a Book Club experience. Let me just explain it a bit for those who are not familiar with it. Once a month, I get a box delivered from the book club. Inside it the book for the month and there are several wrapped gifts, each marked with a specific page. There are instructions reminding you not to open the present until you reach that particular page, because the gifts correspond to something happening in the story. A card with a quote from the book is included and then on the back are discussion questions for a set date on Instagram.

Okay, back to the book…

“Lost Amongst the Living” absolutely captivated me. It drew me into Jo’s world, which was bleak as any horror movie I’ve seen glimpses of. (I’m not one for scary movies). St. James really painted a picture of the dreary English countryside and the creepy house Jo finds herself living in now. She also is able to hold the eerie feeling of mystery throughout the book as well. I was always on the edge of my seat, wondering what was coming next.

St. James also jumps in time as well and the changes  were a bit jarring at first but I got used to it. She gives us glimpses into Jo’s relationship with her husband, Alex, who is a mystery in and of himself. They have a whirlwind romance and it’s clear she loves him. His feelings are a bit more complicated and only become so as the story goes on.

I’ll admit it’s a bit difficult to write a review because there is a big twist that I don’t want to spoil, so I’m dancing around a lot. Suffice it to say, it is a very good twist and brings with it another mystery for Jo to solve on top of the one she’s already trying to solve. St. James really builds her mysteries and keeps the reader enthralled.

Bottom line: A good mystery that will leave the reader guessing the entire time.
Sex: Mentions, nothing graphic.

Moonlight Musings

Do you believe in ghosts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment